Thursday 26 July 2007

Patrick Eagar's memorable images

When I think of the memorable images of cricket that have caught my eye over the years, I think of Patrick Eagar. I remember reading cricket books while I was growing up and the pictures that made them special and his is the only name that I can remember.

I was really chuffed therefore to meet Patrick for the first time a few years ago when I was the picture selector for a cricket book, 'Ground Rules - A Celebration of Test Cricket'. I went to meet Patrick to select some of his photo's for inclusion in the book, where the pictures were a key element. I was struck by Partick's kind and generous nature and enthusiasm for his craft. His home is full of pictures as you can imagine, not all of them of cricket.

The unique thing about his pictures is that each picture tells a story and you not only see the image but get a feel of the mood, atmosphere and the setting. I particularly remember the shots of Ian Botham that he took throughout his career, which perfectly conveyed the mood. The ones that stand out are of the infamous 1981 Ashes series where a range of emotions were captured from celebrating a wicket and the swashbuckling batting to the more sombre and reflective moments when he lost the captaincy that year.

I met Patrick recently, not aware as we chatted away that he was approaching his 3ooth Test Match at the first Test between England and India at Lords. He was recounting the early days when official photos of the matches were restricted to a few agencies and it was not until 1972, when newspapers demanded more variety and colour photos and Australia wanted to send its own photographers on tours that it was opened up to newspapers and freelancers. There were of course many unofficial shots taken secretly over fences and wall of grounds.

The lifting of the restrictions paved the way for Patrick to enter the stage and become one of the best photographers in the world. In the early days the images had to be transported by train to tight newspaper deadlines to ensure they got the newspaper offices on time to go to press. They would have to be on a train by early afternoon and any other significant images from the day would be published the day after.This has all changes with the age of digital pictures and Internet connections which has made it very easy to send pictures at the click of a button and arrive instantly.

It is very interesting to hear the many stories of his time clicking away and I am sure I would want to hear them all but Patrick as usual is a busy person and had to shoot off for a Twenty20 match that day between England and West Indies.

I have often wondered what it takes to take a good photo, especially one where you click at the precise fall of a wicket or any other significant incident. I am sure a lot has to do with experience and knowledge, but as I was to find out when I took a photo the other day of Dhoni loosing his wicket at Chelmsford, a lot has to do with luck and being at the right place at the right time. That is beginners luck for sure. I don't think Patrick has anything to worry about just yet.

I look forward to seeing many more classic pictures from the lens of one of the greatest and congratulate him on reaching a significant landmark.

No comments: