Monday 8 October 2007

Less is more

I don't know if it is just me but I am finding this constant diet of the short form of cricket rather tedious and boring. It has lost any value and interest for me and it is a struggle to watch it. I was never a big fan of the shorter version of the game but the sheer number of games played is killing any interest and entertainment value.

The one day format certainly seems dull and too long after the Twenty20 circus. The powers that be want to continue this format as it is the money earner and that is the name of the game now but I am sure that Twenty20 can be as profitable if not more because of its popularity. There are far too many games played that it is hard to stay interested.

There is no time to miss cricket as one tournament follows the other in quick succession without having enough time to draw breath. It must be mentally and physically hard on the players to constantly have to perform at the top level and keep up the intensity and interest. I remember times times when I used to eagerly await a series after a long break but now it is an effort to watch some of the games as there is nothing new to watch and just too many matches.

I am now eagerly awaiting a good Test series and the time between Tests is growing ever longer.The last Test in England was in mid August, where we were left gasping for more but instead we had a prolonged one day series to be followed by more of the same everywhere. It seems an age to wait now for a Test series.

In these times of money driving schedules and the number of games played it would be good if the authorities realised that more is not always better but that less is actually more.

7 comments:

Stuart said...

I agree completely. I love cricket in all shapes and forms, but I have become increasingly bored with ODI matches than mean nothing. The message board I belong to uses the term "JAMODI" for Just Another Meaningless ODI, and it sums it up really.

Test cricket remains the greatest challenge and most entertaining form of the game.

Rashmika said...

Hi Stuart

Glad to hear that someone else feels the same way as me. I was beginning to think it was only me.

I get all these people who never liked cricket much come up to me to tell me how much they are enjoying Twenty20 and they can't quite understand when I say that I prefer Test matches.

I love JAMODI, describes it perfectly.For me Test cricket is the ultimate in not just cricket but sports overall.

Anonymous said...

tests provide a great chance for comebacks even after a bad or 2 sessions.

it remains the purest and the best form of cricket. the next 2 series should be teh cracking ones and full of intensity and sledging as has been throughout this yr.

india - australia in australia promises to be one of the worst faught and bitter series after all what happened here in the ODI series,

Rashmika said...

Hi Sam

I am really looking forward to the Aus V Ind series and as you say it promises to be full of intensity as there is a bit of needle between the two teams.

Tests are on a class of their own, there is nothing quite like it.

Anonymous said...

I for one beg to differ.

I love ODI's for the simple reason that it has made watching Test cricket exciting.:)

Rashmika said...

Well each to their own but the main thing is that you enjoy Test cricket which ever way you come from..:)

ibproduct said...

Thank you so much for sharing all this wonderful info with the how-to's!!!! It is so appreciated!!! You always have good humor in your posts/blogs. So much fun and easy to read!

Edius Pro Crack