Friday 21 September 2007

Cricket for breakfast, lunch and dinner

I did not think that I would be watching too much of the Twenty20 World Cup, as it is so removed from tests, but my interest was aroused after Zimbabwe defeated Australia in the first week and I started to watch the matches. The games were very conveniently scheduled as they were on when I was having breakfast, lunch and dinner, so it was wall to wall cricket all day. The pace is fast and furious, blink and you miss another big six.

It is easy to understand why it is such a big hit and has drawn in spectators new to cricket. The formula is simple and it is all over in three hours, and before you know it the next game has started. If test cricket is your four course gourmet dinner, 50 overs is your fast food, then Twenty20 must be grabbing a snack on the run from a stall. Each satisfies your appetite in different ways and maybe you pick and chose the one that best suits you at the time. The purists of the game may think that is is watering down the game to an extent that it is unrecognisable but if it is popular, as it clearly is, then it is sure to stay and is a sign of the times. If it can help to globalise the game, as it looks like doing then it can be good for the game.

Whether fans will upgrade to the longer forms of the game, having been introduced to it in this short format remains to be seen. I came into the game watching tests and for me there is nothing else that can touch it in cricket or any other sports. If tests were not played I am doubtful that I would watch the game as the passion and all the wonderful subtleties of the game would not be there. I think there is room for all formats, and as long as they do not tinker with tests I will be happy.

The tournament is reaching an exciting climax at the end of the second week and when I look back at the matches, it all seems a blur and I can only recount the stand out moments. For me that was Australia loosing, as it is such a rare event, the bowl out between India and Pakistan because I had never seen anything so crazy before, six sixes in an over by Yuvraj for pure entertainment and that is it. As we reach the climax, my short lived love affair with this format seems to be waning. It is almost like I have been on a diet of junk food for the last two weeks and my stomach has had enough of the quick fixes and carves some quality home cooked food. I will have to put time and effort in to prepare it but for me it will be worth every minute for the satisfaction just like tests take up five whole days but the satisfaction and pleasure during and at the end of it is incomparable. I never feel like I have had enough but cannot wait for the next one.

The schedule seems packed of the shorter version of the game in the next couple of months and I am just tired watching so what must the players feel like? It is a constant roller coaster and the addition of yet another format which is likely to grow will only add to the already packed schedule.I fear for player burnout and the quality of cricket which it is bound to impact, not to mention the likelihood of more injuries and key players out of action for the important games.

I am going off to prepare my home cooked meal, might take a while but it will be worth it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there Rashmika,

Nice post. Captures the one important thing. The Twenty20 WC's captured - probably pleasantly - the interest of a lot of skeptics but how long that will linger is open to a lot of debate. Also, the games itself seem a lot more taxing for the players than the 3 hours make them out to be.

Somewhere for the viewers, the contrast of this tournament against the sheer monotony of the ODI world cup has helped too, I guess.

Reading around the blog world, what it has done for sure is its made the Test match devotees just that much more staunch !

Cheers.

Anonymous said...

Yes nothing beats test cricket. A short leg,silly point, slip and leg gully as Kumble or Murali bound in at Eden Gardens or Kandy on the fifth day! But this has been a breathe of fresh air and has told the icc get rid of odis which monotonous at best and play t20 instead. Lets enjoy the end and then get ready for odis from sri lanka and india. zzzzzzzzzzz!

Rashmika said...

Hi Sfx

I love tests and for me there can never be anything better. I am not a stick in the mud and prepared to give new things ago and twenty20 defenitely works and I am glad to see that a lot of people are into the game that never would be otherwise. Odi's have never held much fascination for me and this is just the tonic it might have needed to change the format perhaps.

As you say, it has made those of us that love tests love it even more when we see how far removed from them this format is.

As long as tests remain untouched I am more than happy but I will certainly be cutting back on the other stuff now as it is just getting monotonous.

Rashmika said...

Hey Amar

Yes I definitely got into the tournament rather suprisingly but just don't want a proliferation as is the case with odi's, but i fear that is happening with everyone wanting to cash in on its success.

I am just going to be more discerning on how much i watch. I await the next test match and may give the odi's a miss. The twenty20 has been great but it has made the divide between tests and others greater than ever so i will stay away from fast food for a while!!

Ananth said...

You are right when you say too much of t20, like too much of junk food, might spoil the fun. It would do well for the ICC not to get too greedy and keep the number of T20 matches played in an year on a tight leash.

But knowing the ICC, they might try and do just the opposite!

Rashmika said...

I think the ICC will cash in now and there will be numerous matches but something has to give as the calendar is already packed. I think that ODI's will have to make way as T20 will become more popular as I can'tsee how ODI's can compete with them now.